Restaurateur’s plea as fire destroys premises

Angela Huzulak
July 14, 2021

A £30,000 fundraiser has been launched after a fire ripped through an Indian restaurant in Howden.

Humberside Fire and Rescue Service was called to Jamil Spice on Vicar Lane on the evening of Wednesday, July 7. Crews evacuated neighbours and advised residents to close their windows after flames could be seen billowing from the rooftops. According to a post made on the business’ Facebook page, the fire was caused by an electrical fault on the second floor. A GoFundMe page launched by Noshibur Rahman, stated: “This is the only business that provides for my family and now in this pandemic we have nothing to support us. “I lost my stocks and all my equipment on that floor. We really need as much help as we can to repair the business.

“We need all the help we can get, we would be very grateful if you could contribute a small donation to help us get back on track.” Jamil Spice was contacted for comment but did not respond by the time the Goole Times went to print. It remains unclear whether the business was insured. It’s believed no injuries were sustained during the blaze.

Jamil Spice went up in flames on July 7. (15-07-29 SU) 

Share this article