Vikings go down to narrow defeat against top of the league

September 10, 2021

Grimsby Borough 4 Goole AFC 2

With Mattie Zaniewski again missing from the game, the last game of his three game ban, Richard Watson continued in goal.

Sam Cable was welcomed back after his three game ban. Two new signings both 19 year olds, were on the bench Silas Vallaolid Collins and Dylan Collington. This game was always going to be a difficult game, but on the back of the second half at home against Silsden, confidence was high. Coming into this game Grimsby were unbeaten, having taken 14 out 18 points available. While Goole came into this game with an unbeaten away record, having won one, and drawn one of their two away league games.

Goole started strongly, belying their 17th position in the table. After just 6 minutes they struck through a good right wing move that saw a low cross into the Grimsby box with Joe Fella turning the ball into the net from just a yard out. Just 5 minutes later, Grimsby were level. A foray down the middle caused confusion at the centre of the Goole defence. The defenders were slow to react and Reece York was on hand to prod the ball home. Another five minutes and Grimsby were in front. Again, down to defence sloppiness and a failure to clear the ball which hadn’t been evident from the early games of the season.

However, Grimsby are a very good, well established and physical team that move the ball around very well. While GAFC are a very young and inexperienced team, which is still evolving. It appeared that most of the 50/50 decisions were going in favour of the home side, and when Grimsby’s No.18 barged into the Goole keeper in the 25th minute, flattening him, which surely should have been a yellow card, the Goole fans were left bemused when the referee failed to admonish the assailant. In the 43rd minute Joe Fella was replaced by Dylan Collington, making his Goole debut. Dylan is a Snaith lad on loan from Pontefract. Despite Goole’s goal being under constant pressure with Grimsby squandering many good chances, Goole continued to play football and move the ball from their own area in a quality way, refusing to resort to panic football.

The half ended with Goole still in the game at 2-1. The second half opened as most of the second halves so far this season, with Goole showing a determined streak, and playing the ball around well, creating chances, but without much luck in front of the Grimsby goal. It was on one such attack on the Grimsby goal, that Grimsby broke away and in the 55th minute with the goal at his mercy Richie Burdett scored a simple goal. 3-1. In seasons gone by, this would have been the goal that killed Goole’s ambitions for this game. Not so this team. Mick and Jacko have instilled a never say die attitude, and in fairness this team never throws the towel in, and will continue to battle until the final whistle. In the 56th minute Silas Vallaolid Collins replaced Regan Fish, who had been on the receiving end of a number of very physical challenges from the Grimsby defence. It was very much against the run of play that Richie Burdett scored his second goal of the afternoon in the 70th minute to put Grimsby 4-1 up. A score-line that didn’t accurately reflect the balance of play. Again this goal was more as a result of Goole’s willingness to attack the Grimsby goal, rather than defensive frailties.

In the 76th minute Chris Simpkins limped off and was replaced by Liam Parker. The very physical nature of the Grimsby team showed why they had acquired the highest number of yellow cards in the league. Silas has quickly fitted into this hardworking and determined team, and continues to demonstrate what an important addition he will be to GAFC. In the 80th minute he burst into the Grimsby area and with the goal gaping in front of him he was pushed in the back and sent sprawling. In the course of falling his hand hit the ball. To everyone’s surprise, including the Grimsby players, the referee awarded a free kick to Grimsby for handball. In anyone’s language it was a clear cut penalty, and probably a red card for the Grimsby player. Goole continued their pressure on the Grimsby goal and were rewarded in the 89th minute, when Luke Williams who had been a constant threat to the Grimsby defence all afternoon dribbled into the Grimsby penalty area, and was subsequently scythed down - and even this referee couldn’t deny Goole a penalty this time. Josh Dacre stepped up and slammed the ball into the net for 4-2 to Grimsby. While it is fair to say that Grimsby did have many chances throughout the game, this was yet another game where the result wasn’t a true reflection on the overall balance of play. However, it is goals that count, and while Goole have managed to regularly find the net in away games (nine goals in three games) they have failed to take their chances in their home games which have resulted in a lack of points at home. Hopefully, this Saturday will see a change in their home fortunes.

Next Saturday, September 11, Goole play Staveley Miners Welfare, 3.0pm kick off.

M.O.M. Luke Williams Yellow Cards: Nil Red Cards: Nil Goole AFC: R. Watson, James Arnold, Joel Spence, Mitch Pattinson, Josh Dacre, Sean Hesselwood, Regan Fish, Chris Simpkins, Joe Fella, Sam Cable, Luke Williams. Subs: Reuben Pearse, Liam Parker, Silas Vallaolid Collins, Dylan Collington.

Share this article