Replay beckons despite Dacre’s towering header

August 12, 2021

Goole AFC 1 Ryhope Colliery Welfare 1

Goole’s first cup game of the season ended in a 1-1 draw against Ryhope Colliery Welfare of the Northern League.

The visitors were well on top in the first ten minutes but they just couldn’t seem to hit the target or get shots off that weren’t blocked by the Goole defence. Goole had the odd chance too, with Harley Wilson having a shot from long range blocked by the Ryhope defence and out for a corner. Ryhope were soon back on the attack, with a shot from outside the boxing forcing Matt Zaniewski to make an acrobatic save to turn the ball over the crossbar. Soon after Ryhope were on the attack again, a cross into the far post just being headed into the side netting by the Ryhope man but Matt Zaniewski looked to have it covered. The visitors were soon back on the attack, playing a cross across the ground which Joel Spence slid in to clear it away for a corner. Ryhope sent the ball high into the box from the corner with Connor Slack getting his head to it, heading it just over the cross bar. A Ryhope goal looked likely but just didn’t seem to come for them.

Just on the stroke of half-time Goole’s Liam Parker was in with an amazing chance a one on one with James Winter forcing him to make a brilliant save with his leg. Both teams went in at half time goalless. Goole started the second half in much better fashion. In the 47th minute Goole had a number of shots all blocked by the Ryhope defence. Only four minutes later Goole were on the attack again, with Liam Parker laying the ball off to Carl Stewart who hit ball just over the cross bar. Ryhope were struggling to string any attacking play together, with the only attack of note being when James Ellis noticed Matt Zaniewski was off his line and attempted to chip him from near the half-way line, just hitting the ball too hard and over the bar.

In the 58th minute Ryhope came close with a header from a corner that was hit high into a crowded box luckily Josh Schofield was on the line to clear the ball away preventing a certain goal. In the 67th minute Goole won a corner with Josh Schofield hitting the ball into Josh Dacre at the front post who headed it in to put Goole one up. After half time Goole had come back out looking like a totally different team they were attacking brilliantly and defending authoritatively. Goole were certainly the most dominant side for the majority of the second half. Liam Parker came close to scoring yet again when he once more had another one on one with James Winter and yet again he made a superb save late on that kept Ryhope in the match. Just four minutes from time, a strong shot from a Ryhope attacker was parried by Matt Zaniewski and bounced out back into play with Kyle Davis hitting the ball into the corner of the net to equalise for Ryhope.

The visitors came close once more in the 90th minute with a header from a long range cross which was headed just over the bar. Ryhope were much more threatening in the last 20 minutes of the second half forcing Matt Zaniewski to make some stunning saves and the Goole the defence making some impressive blocks and superb tackles but Goole just couldn’t hold on to the lead they needed to progress, meaning a replay away at Ryhope Colliery Welfare on Wednesday, August 11.

Share this article