Blue plaque honour for two landmarks

July 28, 2021

A blue plaque will be installed on two historic buildings.

Planning permission has been granted to erect a plaque on the Brewers Arms on Pontefract Road and The Manor House on Selby Road. The grade II listed buildings, which are featured on the Snaith Heritage Trail, were nominated for the symbols by the Snaith Walkers are Welcome Group in a bid to promote the town’s history. Both plaques will feature a website and QR code for people to learn more about each building. According to documents submitted with the application, The Brewers Arms, also known as The Lodge, was built in 1760 by Charles Yarburgh. Following his passing in 1789, the building was purchased by Robert Moore as a family home for 53 years.

It was then purchased by Henry Eadon and remained as family home for 78 years until his wife, Anna Marie Eadon, passed away in 1921. In 1980 it was converted into The Lodge Country Club and in 1986 before being acquired in 1986 by the Old Mill Brewery and became The Brewers Arms. The Manor House was built in 1800 and was formerly the home of Lord Downe of Cowick Hall until 1869 when it was sold as part of the Cowick Hall Estate. In recent years it operated as a chemist and shop before it was taken on by Saith and Cowick Town Council in 2008.

The Brewers Arms in Snaith. Credit: 21/01607/PLB. (27-07-17 SU)

Share this article